Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm SOMEBODY now!

So, this was roughly the reaction I expected to have when my Moroccan ID was delivered to me after waiting 7 months since applying.



You know, up until the sniper part. I imagined taking my little pink Carte Sejour in my hands and shrieking to the rooftops about how I'm legally allowed to be in this country now.

Instead, my Gendarme handed me the card then informed me there was a typo and my card says I am a French citizen.

Why do the gods of identification papers have it in for me?

On a different note, I had my fortune read against my will yesterday. I was standing around waiting for the storekeeper to come back from his afternoon prayer (I swear, it's like that man prays five times a day or something) when this crazy woman beckoned me inside her house. For a normal kid raised in America this would set off all kinds of alarm bells, but my first thought was literally "whatever, it's not like I've got something better to do."

I assume she is just going to do the customary tea and cookie thing, then harass me about getting married, but instead she whips out tarot cards and goes to town. If I understood her correctly, I have a brother, my father is very ill, I'm going to get married, then pass a driver's test, then move back to America.

Suck on that.

I'm going to provide you with another youtube clip in an attempt at some auto-therapy. That's a word I made up. It means I'm doin therapy to myself.



This, my friends, is one of the greatest movies of all time. I'm also weirdly obsessed with it. I can remember watching it when I was a little kid and my sister had her friends over and they graciously let me hang out with them. Before I left for Morocco, my sister and I made a point of getting wasted and watching it. Sure, I ended up booting all over her apartment then passing out then waking up in my own apartment hours later, but that's not Labyrinth's fault.

I'd love to tell you I can watch Labyrinth whenever the hell I want. I'd love to tell you that today I blew off work because I stayed up too late watching Labyrinth the night before, resulting in a Labyrinth hangover. I'd love to tell you that I was planning to quit my job here so I could take my One-Man-Show version of Labyrinth to stage and screen.

Oh how I'd love to tell you these things. Sadly it is just not in the cards for me (the crazy lady made no mention of Labyrinth...although maybe she did because I don't know how to say Labyrinth in Darija. I'd love to tell you I know how to say Labyrinth in Darija.) Nope. I can't do any of those things because someone I THOUGHT WAS A FRIEND, SOMEONE I THOUGHT I COULD TRUST, denied me access to Labyrinth. Why would anyone want to hurt me that badly?

Now for some "On the Home Front!" updates:
-Mumus are allowed in my house. They do not violate the no-pants policy. I am currently wearing mine and don't plan to take it off until I have to go outside again. Then I will come home, check my pants at the door, and reunite with the mumu.
-I have dark brown hair now. My hair was getting really light with all the sun exposure and I made an executive decision.
-I made delicious falafel today.

No comments:

Post a Comment