Friday, December 18, 2009

inappropriate

currently listening to: “Camping Next to Water” by Badly Drawn Boy

current state: safe in my room, CLEAN, full of bread and cookies

‘Awkward’ doesn’t even begin to describe this afternoon. From 4 to 5 on Tuesdays I have informal tutoring sessions. Too many people have stopped me on the street asking for English classes, and they are all of different levels, so I think this might be the best way to deal with the situation for now. Anyway this man came today that I had talked to last week—he studied English in school and loved it, but he learned British English and wants to learn to speak like Americans. I told him to come by this week around 4 or 5 with a list of British terms and we’d go over them.

The man did indeed stop by, but instead of bringing his list of British terms he brought the lyrics of an Eminem song. Yeah. I spent an hour with a middle-aged man explaining American slang like “woody” and how “climbing up and down that pole” is a phrase that describes the movements of a woman performing a strip tease. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment