Monday, October 25, 2010

Step 1: Apply Paint Thinner Directly to Skin.




The word for paint thinner in Darija is "doulio." It's one of those words that I have no reason to know, but there it is. Here's a dialogue, translated to English for your reading pleasure:

THE SCENE:
Khadija's house. Mexican soap opera dubbed in Darija on the tv. Khadija and I lounge on the floor as she draws henna flowers all over my hands.

Me: So this isn't the first time I've done henna, but my hands feel like fire and my skin's turning red. So good or no good?

Khadija: It's no problem. It's probably because you're so insanely white.

--time passes--

Me: Yeah, maybe it's because I'm white. It's very...I don't know. It feels very much like fire.

Khadija: Well, I mixed the henna with paint thinner. Sorry I forgot to tell you.

Me: Sorry, paint thinner?

Khadija: Yeah. No problem?

Me: I guess?

1 comment:

  1. i had almost the exact same conversation the first time i tried henna with paint thinner:

    me: um, why do my hands feel like they are on fire?

    naima: that's because you're american and weak. and you've never had henna before.

    me: no, i have had henna, and it didn't hurt like this.

    naima: huh. no idea then. maybe it's the paint thinner.

    me: come again?

    i've been told it helps make the henna extra dark. i think it just burns the top layer of your epidermis, and that's what contributes to the extra redness.

    ReplyDelete